- Esoteric and Spiritual Articles, Books, eBooks, CDs and DVDs Submit Spiritual Articles and LinksSitemap
HomeEsoteric and Spiritual ArticlesEsoteric and Spiritual BooksEsoteric and Spiritual e-BooksEsoteric and Spiritual DVDsEsoteric and Spiritual Links

Healing Mind and Body

Survival Predictions May Hasten Death

Daniel J. Benor, MDA letter to the British Medical Journal by Daniel J. Benor, MD.

I have always been concerned about predictions of death, a subject discussed by glare et al (1). While in some cases predictions may be a boon to seriously ill people and their families, in other instances they may hasten death unnecessarily - particularly when given months and years in advance.

Studies show that people can choose, to some degree, the timing of their death, as when there is a particular reason to go on living.  For example, people die more often after a major holiday than before (2). In the literature on psychological treatments for cancer, when people fine a reason to live, their disease may even arrest or regress (3).

On the opposite side, and here is my concern, there is the Musselman phenomenon (noted first in German concentration camps) of giving up and dying within hours (4). By predicting a death, the doctor may, in effect, be "pointing the bone."  The literature on hex deaths points to the possibility that negative expectations may contribute to an early demise (5). Negative effects of spiritual healing may also be activated in this way. Shamanic literature has many case reports to this effect (5).

So a caution to those who are in the position to be asked to predict people's deaths.  Every prediction is based on a probability.  A prediction can be stated as, "You have a 90% probability of dying in three months" or "You have a 10% probability of surviving in three months."  In the complementary, alternative healing community we add: "So why don't we see how we can help you be in the 10% group, if you'd like to work towards that goal."



Spiritual articles Articles Articles on Healing Mind & Body
Spiritual books Books Spiritual Healing
Esoteric and Spiritual DVDs DVDs DVDs on Healing Mind & Body
ruleYou don't need to leave your room. Remain sitting at your table and listen. Don't even listen, simply wait. Don't even wait. Be quite still and solitary. The world will freely offer itself to you. To be unmasked, it has no choice.” -- Franz Kafka

Keywords: healing spiritual, energy healing, healing prayer, hands healing, healing technique, faith healing, healing psychic, divine healing, healing miracle, distant healing, distance healing, spiritual healing, spiritual energy healing, spiritual physical healing

Fighting Terror with Forgiveness
The Amazing Cures of a Brazilian Miracle Man
Radical Forgiveness
Aspects of Spiritual Healing & the Spiritualization of Matter
Spiritual Healing as the Energy Side of Einstein's Equation
Distant Healing
 More healing articles...
Healing Mind and Body
Daniel J. Benor, M.D. is a wholistic psychiatrist including bodymind approaches, spiritual awareness and healing in his practice.

He is author of Healing Research, Volumes I-IV and appears internationally on radio and TV.

He is a Founding Diplomate of the American Board of Holistic Medicine, and editor of the International Journal of Healing and Caring - On Line